BEST RESTAURANTS IN MOUNT DORA
Updated August 16, 2020
The Mount Dora restaurants on this page only include those that I've tried and liked and consider to be the best. If it's not on the list, I either didn't try it, didn't like it or have not yet had time to write it up.
Pisces Rising Dining Room, Mount Dora, Florida
Mount Dora is one of the three towns that make up Central Florida's "Golden Triangle". Mount Dora restaurants on this page also include those in the other two triangle towns: Eustis and Tavares.
The list might be a bit Mount Dora centric because that's where I live.
BEST RESTAURANTS IN MOUNT DORA
ACCORDING TO FLORIDA BACK ROADS TRAVEL
- 1921. 142 East 4th Avenue, Mount Dora, Florida 32757. Tel: 352-385-1921. Extensive menu and wonderful bar scene. Originally established by celebrity chef Norman Van Aken, who is no longer with the restaurant. Upscale but worth the money. Popular happy hour 430 to 630.
- Cafe Gianni. 425 North Alexander Street, Mount Dora, FL 32757. This little restaurant had a nice following in Eustis and moved the entire operation to Mount Dora in 2014. It has an upscale Italian menu in a two story building in downtown Mount Dora. Dining upstairs or down; wine and beer. Chicken, pork, beef and seafood. Home made pasta.
- Chili's Bar & Grill. 17419 Us Hwy 441, Mount Dora, FL
32757. Tel: 352-589-4002. Yep, this is the big national chain and I
like it a lot. Good chili, fajitas, hamburgers, wide variety of menu
items. Full liquor bar and great margaritas. One of the best of the
chain Mount Dora restaurants.
Cody's on 4th
- Cody's on 4th.
111 East 4th Avenue, Mount Dora, FL 32757. Tel: 352-735-8426. Nice
little cafe decorated with old scenes of historic Mount Dora. They have
a variety of coffee, homemade pastries, fresh salads, sandwiches, beer
Copacabana Cuban Cafe
- Copacabana Cuban Cafe. 320 Dora
Drawdy Way, Mount Dora Florida 32757. Tel: 352-385-9000. This is a
great place to eat. Simple yet comfortable decor and interior. Owner
Alberto and his staff are very attentive and agreeable. Food is great
and served promptly. I recently had picadillo - a lightly spiced ground
beef dish - served with plantains and yellow rice. As an appetizer, I
had sopa de polla - chicken soup- with lots of noodles, potatoes,
carrots, and chicken. It was only $4.95 and could have been a meal unto
itself. My picadillo was just right. This is a good place to eat and to
discover that Mount Dora restaurants include a good Cuban place.
- Duke's Dogs. 237 West 4th Avenue, Suite 4, Mount Dora, Florida 32757. Tel: 352-729-6549. This neat and clean little restaurant is in the arcade next to Maggie's Attic. As the name implies, they have a large selection of hot dogs. They also have chili and other sides including French fries. Their claim to fame is their Chicago Style hot dog. Check Wikipedia for the definition of that hot dog. Sounds delish!
- Fiesta Grande Mexican Grill. 421-B Baker Street, Mount Dora Florida 32757. Tel: 352-385-3540. This is a large, bright and cheerful downtown eatery that has a full liquor bar and a wide range of Mexican dishes. Very good food and colorful atmosphere. There are other Mount Dora restaurants that feature Mexican food, but this my favorite.
- Fifth Avenue Streatery. 846 East 5th Ave., Mount Dora, Florida 32757. Tel: 352-720-3328. All of the dining is outside in this nicely converted old gas station on the corner of Highland and 5th. They have some great food from appetizers to entrees. Their cuisine is a combination of good old Southern food and some surprisingly upscale choices. Although the dining is outside, they have infrared heaters for the winter and cooling misters for the summer. Tim and Deborah are the owners.
The Goblin Market
- Goblin Market.
330 Dora Drawdy Way, Mt Dora FL 32757. Tel: 352-735-0059. This fine
restaurant is entered from a charming alley between Donnelly and
Alexander in the heart of downtown Mount Dora. The atmosphere is
charming, reminiscent of a private club with book lined walls and
comfortable lighting. The food and service are as good as anyplace in
Florida. Try the upstairs bar for great service from a bartender who remembers everybody's name and drink. This is the top of
"must visit" Mount Dora restaurants.
- Golden Corral Buffet & Restaurant. 15810 Us Highway 441, Eustis, FL 32726. Tel: 352-589-1831. This
restaurant features a big buffet that is sure to have something on it
you will like. The salad bar is great with plenty of lettuce, carrots,
green peppers, black olives, croutons, cole slaw and a host of other
goodies like garbanzos and cheeses. The hot meal bar is loaded with a
lot of fried delights like fish, chicken, okra and other southern
staples like green beans and carrots. They also have a excellent
rotisserie chicken. They also have great desserts. Prices reasonable,
- Highland Street Cafe. 185
South Highland Street, Mount Dora Florida 32757. Tel: 352-383-1446.
This is one of the Mount Dora restaurants favored by locals, especially
as a breakfast place, although they also have a regular American lunch
menu. It is similar to a diner in menu and layout. Breakfast is
available all day long. Service is great and food is good, especially
- Jeremiah's. 947 East 5th
Avenue, Mount Dora Florida 32757. Tel: 352-383-7444. This corner
restaurant is a good place for dinner. They have just about everything,
and their fajitas are better than any of the chain restaurants on the
outskirts of town. Jeremiah's has a full liquor bar, and outside dining
is available too.
- Kiku Japanese Steakhouse.
15211 US Highway 441, Eustis, FL 32726. 352-483-8288. This large and
roomy restaurant is in the Publix shopping center at David Walker
Boulevard. It features great hibachi, cooked at your table while you
watch in amazement. It is one of two Mount Dora restaurants that
feature hibachi cooking. Full liquor bar, reasonable prices.
- Lake House Bar & Grill (formerly Side Lines Sports Eatery). 315 North Highland Street, Mount Dora, FL 32757. Tel: 352-735-7433. This is a typical sports bar with a few TV screens and a good menu standard fare like hamburgers, fries and pizzas. They will make your pizza the way you like it. A local hangout for good old boys and their wives and families. Good service, plenty of parking.
The Lakeside Inn
- Lakeside Inn. 100 Alexander Street, Mount Dora, Florida 32757. Tel: 352-383-4101. This inn goes back to 1883 and is Florida's oldest continuously operating hotel. As if that weren't enough, the inn also has some of the best food and drink in town. It not only has a large main dining room, but you can also dine and drink in historic Tremain's Lounge. This cozy room has a fireplace and music almost every night from laid back piano to acoustic to old time jazz. The wide veranda overlooking beautiful Lake Dora is a favorite spot to watch the sunsets from a comfortable rocking chair.
- Lampu Japanese Steakhouse. US Highway 441 # 2, Mount Dora Florida 32757. Tel: 352-383-6119. This large restaurant is at the north end of Donnelly Street where it meets US Highway 441 on the north side of town. Lampu features great hibachi, cooked at your table in entertaining fashion. It is one of two Mount Dora restaurants that feature hibachi cooking. Full liquor bar, reasonable prices.
- Las Palmas Cuban Restaurant. 351 N. Donnelly St., Mount Dora, Florida 32757. Tel: 352-720-3336. This restaurant came along many years after the well established Copacabana on the same block. This one is thriving and so is Copacabana; both serve Cuban food but with slightly different menus and cooking styles.
- Let's Do Lunch. 426 North Donnelly St., Mount Dora, Florida 32757. Tel: 352-735-3702. They are open only for lunch and have a short menu packed with nice items. You can get sandwiches, soups, salads and their specialty, a lobster roll. They have a small indoor dining room and a couple of tables on the outside sidewalk.
- Maggie's Attic. 237 West
4th Avenue, Mount Dora, FL 32757. Tel: 352-383-5451. I have decided
that wine and beer are food for purposes of listing Mount Dora
restaurants. I stopped by here recently for one of their "Wine Down
Wednesday" events. Probably a hundred jovial people were enjoying beer,
wine and music. There was a table set up with snacks, although this is
more of a wine, beer and gift shop than a restaurant.
Magical Meat Boutique
- Magical Meat Boutique. 322 Alexander St., Mount Dora, Florida 32757. Tel: 352-729-6911. This British themed pub and restaurant has a funny name but once you've finished snickering you will enjoy its British charm and eclectic menu. MMB, as locals call it, is a British Carvery that specializes in freshly carved beef, pork, turkey, and lamb. The gastro-pub serves breakfast, lunch and dinner 7 days a week. This neat little place is only a few hundred feet from the historic Lakeside Inn.
Mount Dora Brewing Company
- Mount Dora Brewing Company.
405 South Highland St. Mount Dora Florida 32757. Quaint little place
with great homemade beer and good wine selection. Try their sliders;
you will love them. The rambling building is made
up of several unique spaces for drinking and dining-- the Tap Room, Beer
Garden, and Dining Room. Lunch is served 7 days a week, and a
traditional breakfast on Saturdays and Sundays. Open in the evenings
Friday through Monday. Live music is featured in the Tap Room every
Friday and Saturday night, and there’s an open jam session on Sundays
- Nalan-Sultan Mediterranean Grill, 1 N. Eustis St, Eustis, Florida. 32726. Tel: 352-357-4444. Turkish cuisine prepared and served in a little corner restaurant in downtown Eustis. Traditional dishes like falafel, kofte, and shish kabobs.
- Night Owl Caribbean Cuisine, 929 South Bay Street, Eustis, Florida 32726. Tel: 352-589-0256. Richard Wright had a popular food truck serving Jamaican food, and lovers of Caribbean Cuisine are glad he opened a permanent location in Eustis. Great jerk chicken and pork, beef patties, and much more. Tiny dining room and great takeout service.
- Oakwood Smokehouse & Grill.
2911 David Walker Blvd, Eustis, Florida 32726. The inside of this
barbecue place reminds you of a gentlemen's hunting club with stuffed
deer, boar, bobcats, gator heads and mounted fish. Very good ribs,
grilled and barbecued chicken, good slaw and vegetable side dishes.
Beer and wine. A pleasant place with reasonably priced good food.
- Olive Branch Grille & Bar. 115 West 3rd Ave., Mount Dora, Florida 32757. Tel: 352-729-6734. This upscale restaurant features Italian and Mediterannean dishes. It has a full service bar and a menu equally divided between seafood and land based offerings. Good wine list and full service bar.
One Flight Up, Mount Dora
- One Flight Up. 400 North Donnelly St., Mount Dora, Florida 32757. Tel: 407-758-9818. Charming One Flight Up has one of the best views of all downtown Mount Dora restaurants. It's on the second floor with no elevator, so you have to be in good enough shape to walk up the stairs. The outside dining balcony has a wonderful view of what's going on downtown. The coffee, soups, salads, wraps and other light fare are among the best in Mount Dora.
- Pisces Rising. 239 West 4th Avenue, Mount Dora, Florida 32757. Tel: 352-385-2669. Pisces Rising is in the heart of downtown Mount Dora. It's outside bar and dining deck has an expansive view of Lake Dora, and locals and tourists alike enjoy watching the magnificent sunsets over the lake. The happy hour drink prices are refreshingly low compared to some of the places in the larger Florida cities, and they also have a nice bar menu with shrimp offerings and other light fare. The indoor dining area is famous for its fine dining menu.
- PizzAmore. 722 East 5th Avenue, Mount Dora, FL 32757. Tel: 352-383-0092. This medium size restaurant with the catchy name is one of the most popular Mount Dora restaurants. In a restored vintage house close to downtown, with great salads, pizzas, wine and beer. Order your pizza the way you like: cheesy or not, thin or not, crispy or not. They will make it your way. Also some outside dining.
- Sol De Mexico. 125 N. Bay Street, Eustis, Florida. Tel: 352-357-0259. Nice Mexican restaurant in the heart of revitalized downtown Eustis. Great standards like tacos, burritos and fajitas. Pleasant decor, sit down dining, good service. Parking lot on east side of restaurant.
- Takis Pizza House II, 1600 S Bay St Eustis, FL 32726. Tel: 352-357-0022. As the name implies, Takis has great pizza. I value their Greek dishes, including a great gyro plate, wonderful Greek salads, and my all time favorite: grape leaves stuffed with ground beef and rice. Good selection of beer and wine.
- Thai Jasmine & Sushi House. 1010 E Alfred St., Tavares, Florida 32778, Tel: 352-742-0956. Small place in a strip shopping center but big flavor in sushi and Thai favorites. Friendly staff, wine and beer while you wait.
- The Bavarian House. 433 Alexander Street, Mount Dora, Florida 32757. Tel: 352-735-8387. This casual German eatery has inside and outside dining and specializes in tradition German food and beer. Their menu has a wide selection of appetizers and entrees. For the non-German guest, the offerings are always shown on the menu in German and explained in English. For example, their Goulaschsuppe is homemade Goulash soup with pork, beef and pepper bells.
The Frog and Monkey
- The Frog and Monkey Restaurant & Pub.
411 North Donnelly St, Mount Dora, FL 32757. Tel: 352-383-1936. This
basement bar and eatery is entered either from Donnelly Street or Dora
Drawdy Way. It is in the Renaissance Building, the tallest structure in
downtown Mt Dora. It is themed as an English Pub. It serves great
food, beer and wine. A very good cottage pie, great burgers and soups.
- The Great Pizza Company.
23 E. Magnolia Ave., Eustis, Florida 32726. Located in the historic
downtown area of Eustis, this small place with high ceilings and family
ambience has about 40 seats and serves fantastic New York style thin
crust pizza and good salads. Owner Sandy Johnson says the pizza is so
good because they use dough made with New York water. My pizza crust
was nice and thin and crispy, just the way I like it.
- The Salted Fry. 342 Dora Drawdy Way, Mount Dora, Florida 32757. Tel: 352-720-3755. This tiny place in downtown has some inside and outside dining. It specializes in hand cut fries, as the name implies, but also has a nice variety of sandwiches and salads. They have a nice selection of exotic teas and wine. The Pomme Frites (Belgian-Style fries) come with a large variety of toppings and sauces drizzled on top.
The Windsor Rose Tea Room
- The Windsor Rose Tea Room & Restaurant.
142 West 4th Ave., Mount Dora, Florida 32757. Tel: 352-735-2551.
This comfortable little restaurant is decorated with photos and
memorabilia of the British Royal Family. Although they serve high tea
in the traditional manner, they also have more conventional lunches like
traditional hearty British favorites of pot pies and Cornish pasties,
to a selection of tea sandwiches, scones and pastries for Afternoon Tea.
Open 7 days a week from 11:00 am to 4:30 pm.
- Tony's Chowder House. 622 N. Donnelly St., Mount Dora, Florida 32757. Tel: 352-729-2834. This small 12 table restaurant with some additional outside dining serves its "World Champion Clam Chowder" and other seafood offerings. Tony's sister restaurant in Cedar Key has won many cook-off contests and its chowder recipe is in the Great Chowder Cook-off Hall of Fame.
Village Coffee Pot
- Village Coffee Pot.
425 North Donnelly St, Mt Dora FL. Tel: 352-383-3334. This is the
spot to go for great coffee, ice cream, gelato, soup and sandwiches.
Not only that, owner Akhtar and his strong right hand woman, Carol, know
what's going on around town and will share the latest information.
This small spot in the heart of downtown has become the "nerve central"
of downtown Mount Dora. A good place to swap stories and meet old and
Third Avenue and Baker Street
- Wave Asian Bistro & Sushi. 301 N. Baker St, #106, Mount Dora, Florida 32757. Tel: 352-383-9283. Great Asian food including sushi, hibache, bento, and a large variety of soups.
- Whale's Tale. 2720 W. Old Highway 441, Mount Dora, Florida 32757. Tel: 352-385-1500. The Whale's Tale is a favorite of year round locals and snowbirds who have been here before. It is in a quiet shopping center that many tourists seem to overlook on their way to someplace else. They are missing a great dining experience. As the name implies, this restaurant specializes in seafood and they do a great job of it. Bonnie and Pat Duffy, the owners, are originally from Maryland and specialize in a lot of dishes they learned to prepare up in the Chesapeake area.
Our Facebook page has more than 101,518 followers who love off the beaten path Florida: towns, tourist attractions, maps, lodging, food, festivals, scenic road trips, day trips, history, culture, nostalgia, and more.
Take a look. If you enjoy what you see, please give us a like.
OUR FACEBOOK PAGE
Subscribe to our Free Ezine, Florida Heritage Travel
Mike Miller of FloridaBackroadsTravel.com has written 25 books on Florida.
Click on the cover display to see his Amazon author page.
Mount Dora Restaurants